Hair Care Week: DAY 2 Emergency HydrateWednesday, October 09, 2013
Dyeing your hair is very damaging and drying, and it's time to do some damage control. It's only been 1 day since I had my hair dyed and already my hair feels dry and the ends very sticky. It's time to take extra care of it before my hair's ends start to split.
I received this Vidal Sassoon Intensive Hair Mask from the September BDJ Box. You may have noticed Vidal Sassoon revamping their whole image, and I am liking it!
|Vidal Sassoon Intensive Hair Mask 178ml, PhP 349|
I think VS chose a very nice look for their new image. It's very bold, you can see it right away and looks very salon professional.
Among its ingredients, this hair mask contains SQUALENE. Although it is located almost at the bottom of the list which means that this product isn't mainly composed of it, its still got it. Squalene as most of you already know is used in cosmetics for its moisturizing abilities.
I like how this smells. I can't really tell you exactly what it's fragrance is composed of but it smells like your regular run of the mill hair conditioner. A bit fruity with a mix of floral I would say. For leave on masks, smell is important because you will be leaving it on your hair for about 20-30 minutes! I don't like chemical-smelling conditioners.
I love the texture. It doesn't feel oily or heavy on the hand -it actually feels a bit like a gel moisturizer making it very easy to spread on your tresses. When you spread it on your hair, it doesn't have that sticky, very potent texture that makes it really difficult to comb through your hair, even with a wide tooth comb!
According to the directions that is written on the packaging, you're supposed to apply it in the shower on damp hair after you have shampooed it.
But here's how I did it: I applied it on my dry hair. I don't like going in and out of the shower because I don't like leaving puddles of water around my bedroom. So, I combed a generous amount of the mask on my hair specially on the tips. I massaged some on the roots of my hair too!
But when I applied this dry on my hair, I made sure that I didn't have hairspray or gel residue on my hair. Since they just shampooed my hair at the salon the day before, I was allowed to apply this on dry hair.
Pro Tip: Invest in a wide tooth comb and keep it in your shower. This is how you condition your hair properly. Apply conditioner on your tips, and just comb through it.
Ok, ok... Relax guys, I am wearing a tube top here so don't get too excited about me being naked. LOL
- My hair felt really light after it has been rinsed off and dried. I dried my hair with a blow-dryer set into cold.
- I think it would be better to still use conditioner after you shampoo (even on days you use a mask on your hair). Although my hair does weigh a bit lighter, my unruly naturally poofy hair still looks unmanaged.
- The number of uses for a 178ml bottle will depend on the length of your hair. For the length of my hair, this would give me about 3 masking sessions.
- Affordable and is available almost everywhere.
- If you are looking for an extremely heavy hair mask, this wouldn't be your type. I think it's very light on the hair and keeps your hair bouncy. (Some masks weigh the hair down to keep it straight), this mask leaves a 'bounce' to the hair.
- This mask doesn't make your hair look limp, at least not with my hair. Some conditioners leave an oily residue on my hair but not this one.
- I haven't used this treatment for long for me to see real results.
- If you have very dry, coarse, and damaged hair, this mask may be too light for you. For example, my hair is at its dryest after I color my hair so intense (more intensive than this one!) moisturizing is a must like a leave-in night treatment (coming review!), and this will complement the hair mask. BUT once the initial drying effect from the hair colour lessens after a couple of days (unless your hair is really damaged, like the tips of my hair), this hair mask is sufficiently conditioning for me.
No matter what I do, my ends really need a good trim. They've been so damaged with bleach that they need to be chopped off. I think I should get a hair cut soon!