NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon GirlMonday, February 16, 2015
This lippie has got to be one for the books! The first time I saw this lippie was on my friend and fellow beauty blogger, Martha Sta. Barbara of The Beauty Junkee. I saw her wearing a shade of lipstick in a perfect red and I just had to find out what it was! Then she told me that it was the lippie we all got from the Closeup Diamond Attraction launch, so YAY!! I have it!
I received this NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil from the Closeup Diamond Attraction Event press kit. This was included in the kit because it is one of Heart Evangelista's picks for must-haves in her cosmetic case, and I just fell in love with it!
|NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl, PhP 1,450|
I know, I know, searching for a perfect red lipstick is never easy, so if you are still on the look out for that perfect red for your skin tone, then this may be it! Curious? More after the break!
There are so many red lippies out there now whether it be warm, cool, bluish, reddish, a bit orangey perhaps? The list goes on – so one day I was going to have lunch out with my girls and I decided to give this lippie a try. Believe it or not, I do not own one single lippie from NARS. In all my years as a makeup artist and blogger, I never owned one before, for real. So upon applying this lippie, I found myself staring at the most bright luscious red poppy red I’ve ever seen.
One of the best part is that it hardly transfers, so it lasts through a glass of water with ease, and won't transfer on your teeth which is even worse. It’s not moisturizing as a creamy lipstick, but it isn’t drying that it will cause the lips to flake or feel tight. But before application, you’ll want to properly prep lips in advance (or just have a good lip regimen in the evening), since this lippie does not do anything to moisturize the lips.
I have seen swatches of this shade online and it's amazing how on some people it really looks pink than it does red. But to me? It looks berry red which is perfect for my skin tone.
So for those of you who are afraid to pull off red – "man" up! Because you have to try this shade to see for yourself how it will suit you too!
Pixy Ultimate Makeup Cake in White Porcelain, Happy Skin Feeling Sculptacular Face Contour Kit to contour and highlight my face, Canmake Glow Fleur Cheeks 05, Shu Uemura Brow: Ink in Ash Brown for my brows, I then used Maybelline Color Show Vibrantly Bold Pencil Liner in Brown to tight line my upper lash lines, Canmake Nose Powder to contour my nose, then I curled my lashes and applied 3 coats of Maybelline HyperCurl Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara.
- Highly pigmented!
- Can last more than 6 hours without retouching.
- Shade will suit any skin tone and color. For real!
- Very compact.
- Transfer proof.
- Long-lasting color.
- In spite of the matte-feel of this lipstick on the lips, it won't emphasize dryness or flakes on the lips.
- No need to be layered to get full-on color.
- Does not bleed or feather.
- Good price for an amazing lip product.
- This range of lipstick has a lot of shades available to choose from.
- I just don't like the fact that you need a pencil sharpener to use this. So you will have to bring one with you all the time.
- Not as moisturizing as other lipsticks but it is not drying as well.
- You will have to prep your lips before using this lipstick so you will not end up highlighting flaky lips.
- Very hard to sharpen! I ended up wasting a lot of product because the tip kept breaking off.
Retail Price: PhP 1,450/tube
Purchased For: Gift from Closeup (Thank you!)
Will I re-purchase? Yes. I would try the other shades!
Will I recommend it? Yes.
MY OVERALL RATING: ★★★☆☆